Nicknamed "The Rooms of Saint Ignatius" it's the tiny appartment where the Saint lived and died during his stay in Rome in the casa professa ("mother house") of the Society of Jesus.
The order of the Society of Jesus was founded on 1540 by Ignatius of Loyola and approved by Pope Paul III Farnese.
The mother church of The Gesù was first conceived during 1551 by Ignatius himself, funded by Cardinal-Nephew Alessandro Farnese who imposed The Vignola and Giacomo della Porta as its architects, but consecrated only on 1584.
Meanwhile the Jesuits occupied the nearby mother house on 1544 as the first installment of their order. This is the same place where Saint Ignatius lived himself and died on 1556.
The building was then destroyed by a flood on 1598 and then rebuilt from the 1599 to 1623, the job funded by Cardinal Odoardo Farnese, the nephew of the above mentioned Alessandro.
On this occasion the Rooms, that were left in their original state (and it was quite the achitectural feat!), where enriched by beautiful frescoes that decorated their entrance and corridor. The main author is the Jesuit painter Andrea Pozzo, who's the mastermind behind the beautiful trompe l'oeil effect, even if the job was started by The Borgognone, who was hand-picked by the Superior General of the time, Claudio Acquaviva.